Books before food (and any sort of comfortable life).
Ever since I was a kid I’ve been told to not judge a book but its cover. But why not? The book covers today are nothing like they were a hundred, even ten, years ago. They’re better, bolder, and way more beautiful than they’ve ever been. Sure, some miss their mark, but a lot hit it and then even more go above and beyond.
I’ve never been one to follow trends. I’ve always been that person who either doesn’t know what anyone is talking about or I’m the one talking about things that everyone else doesn’t know about. I’ve never really been in that in-between area. When it comes to books, though, I’ve always known what trends are popular because, well, I’m a nerd. So without further ado, here are my favorite book cover trends.
1. The Close-Up: This book trend has been increasing in popularity in the past couple of years, and I can totally see why. There’s just something really beautiful about being able to look directly into the character’s eyes and getting a sense of who they are without even opening the book.
2. Girls in Beautiful Dresses: I have a love/hate relationship with this particular book color trend. While I do feel that it’s way over-done, there really are some great covers out there with this trend. And how can you not love a pretty girl in a beautiful dress?
3. Cartoony/Drawn Covers: This is probably one of my favorite trends of all time. I really wish there were more covers like these because they’re so beautiful. You hardly ever see these covers on anything other than Contemporary YA, though, which makes me sad because I’m not that big into Contemporary.
4. Big Titles: I love this trend! It’s just like BAM! I’m a book, this is my title, and you can read it because it covers the whole front of the book. A lot of cover designers, as with Nil, are even getting super creative with the big titles. Keep it up, guys.
5. Minimalist Covers: I find that this cover trend is particularly compelling because of how simple it is. There’s the title and then there’s a little decoration or graphic that has to do with the book and then that’s it. Simplicity.
6. Book Series Covers That Match: I can’t stand when book covers in a series don’t match. It just makes absolutely no sense to me. So when they do match I get really happy about it. The Lunar Chronicles in particular is a great example of a publisher and author who actually care a great deal about putting out amazing covers that actually match. And isn’t that combination of red and blue just beautiful?
Well, that’s it. Those are my favorite book cover trends. What are your favorite book cover trends? Do you agree or disagree with my favorites?